1. I was able to perform the release as you expected and create the staging
repository.  :-D

2. I have not sent the release vote email because the template states "KEYS
file available here:https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/nifi/KEYS";
but my keys are not included there yet.

3. I contacted the INFRA team via HipChat and they said that normally only
the PMC can commit to dist/*, but the PMC can extend the privilege to
committers.  Thus, I should not have been able to commit to dist/dev
either.  (I've attached a copy of the chat.)

So it appears that unless permissions are specially granted, the release
manager role does require PMC membership.

How do you want to proceed?

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 5:09 PM, Tony Kurc <trk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, it looks like the difference between the KEYS file on dev and release
> prior to you adding your key to dev is that it looks like Joe Percivall's
> key was sort of added twice to the release repo.
>
> dev KEYS before Joe Skora addition:
>  https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/KEYS?p=14135
>
> release KEYS now :
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/nifi/KEYS?p=14117
>
> release KEYS before Joe Percivall addition (major difference is adding two
> identical key blocks)
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/nifi/KEYS?p=14116
>
> We should tidy that up when the next release is ready.
>

> On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 2:10 PM, Joe Witt <joe.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm thinking the same thing Tony.  Joe you should be able to do the
> > full process and we just might need to help with the final push of the
> > official bits to the release directory.  In parallel please submit a
> > request to INFRA on permissions for that folder.  Perhaps there is
> > something else I need to activate though I'm not aware of anything.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Joe
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 2:06 PM, Tony Kurc <trk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I think if you can't commit or move to dist/release, the last bit of
> the
> > > release, (moving them over) won't work. I didn't have the issue you
> > > mentioned with the KEYS file, but I think you mentioned to me out of
> band
> > > the two files were different before you got started (
> > > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/KEYS vs
> > > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/nifi/KEYS) . I'll
> investigate
> > > that bit.
> > >
> > > I could be wrong, but if your key is in https://dist.apache.org/repos/
> > > dist/dev/nifi/KEYS, then you would be able to put together the release
> > > candidate even with the svn permission problems you're having, as that
> > move
> > > to dist/release comes only after the vote is successful.
> > >
> > > I also don't know what the permissions _should_ be for dist/release, I
> > did
> > > some cursory searching on the ASF docs to find something, but was not
> > > successful.
> > >
> > > Tony

> > committed

> the
> "403

> > be
> > this

https://www.hipchat.com/gIjVtYcNy

---- Sunday October 16, 2016 ----
[4:06 PM] Joseph Skora: I'm a committer on the Apache NiFi project.  In order
to perform a release I am trying to add my keys to the project's KEYS file.I
can commit to https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/ but receive 403
errors committing to https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/nifi/.What is
the correct place to submit the request to get permissions on the release
folder?  Or, is that something the PMC can correct?
[4:07 PM] SNMP2HipChat: SNMP Update: Issues detected with crius.apache.org. See
the status page for more details.
[4:16 PM] JIRA: INFRA-12772: ASFBot enabled on #maven and #maven-dev
→Create Issue→Waiting for Infra
by Stephen Connolly.
[4:17 PM] Chris Lambertus (fluxo): @JosephSkoraGuest you'll need to work with
your PMC on that
[4:19 PM] Gavin McDonald (McDuck): seems strange to me he can commit to /dev/
and not /release/
[4:20 PM] Gavin McDonald (McDuck): they are both the same perms, i..e pmc
membership required
[4:23 PM] Joseph Skora: @gmcdonald The PMC thought that as a committer I would
have the required permissions to perform the release manager role.  Is that not
correct?
[4:24 PM] Gavin McDonald (McDuck): no sorry, PMC required - however upon
request the PMC can ask it be extended to committers
[4:30 PM] Joseph Skora: Not a problem, that explains what I've been running
into.  But, I was able to stage the RC into Nexus with Maven and create the
directory and commit https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nifi/nifi-0.7.1.
Should that have required PMC status as well?  I will pass that to the PMC if
so.
[4:32 PM] Gavin McDonald (McDuck): yeah Im unsure how you got to commit to
/dist/ area
[4:33 PM] Joseph Skora: I will let them know.  Thank you, your help is greatly
appreciated!
[4:34 PM] Gavin McDonald (McDuck): no probs