Adam,

Some great points there.  I think what would be good here to keep in
mind is 'who' will tame these things.

For various patterns that are chosen and abstractions found and code written:
  - The developers do the taming.

For the extension registry and which processors become popular or
become unused and phase out:
 - The users/flow managers do the taming.

It is certainly the case we need to think through a robust plan which
allows both developers and users to provide the feedback and energy
necessary.  To date, we've not allowed the users to have much direct
influence here and we really don't have a strong sense of which
components are most commonly used.  One of the things I am most
excited by with the extension registry and related efforts is that it
will help us make more data driven decisions about where to focus our
energies.

Thanks
Joe