Hi Andre,

Realized I responded on the wrong thread...

Just wanted to add my thoughts on this.  One of the things I have been
thinking and working through in creating utilities to automate upgrades
(see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-3663) is creating the
ability to migrate to new configurations/settings, especially in the
instance that  bootstrap.conf or a nifi.properties have been changed. Even
master bootstrap and nifi.properties may be subject to upgrade. I think a
large pain point is that users have needed to address those changes
manually, so automating the migration might help in making an upgrade
better.

Also when thinking about smoother upgrades, I think there are some
additional considerations that may need to be accounted for, such as
whether or not certain repos should stay in place or be relocated (e.g. if
a repository lives under the conf folder in the older installation, and not
external, should that be moved to the newer one?). Or whether an existing
flow template or state information (for zookeeper) needs to be migrated
into the new installation as well. And how to easily manage a need to
rollback if upgrade did not work for whatever reason (e.g. a flow is
impacted by upgraded libraries). My hope is that upgrade tool will have a
comprehensive approach for these things and also lead us down the road
towards supporting rolling upgrades in a cluster in the future.

-yolanda

yolanda.m.da...@gmail.com
@YolandaMDavis