Thanks for reporting the issue.  It appears the NPE can occur if zero
records end up getting published and it fails to lookup the schema
because the message tracker is not yet initialized.

So a couple things:
1) Verify the settings being used to lookup the schema.  You can show
the record reader, writer, and schema registry settings being used for
that publisher.
2) You do not need to SplitAvro before sending it via publish kafka
record.  Avoiding doing the split beforehand can result in vastly
superior performance.

Thanks
Joe