Arun

Very cool that you are planning to jump in on this.  Your approach
sounds like a good start.  As far as system testing you're hitting on
one of the more challenging parts of the equation here.  Your unit
tests of course won't integrate with a real ES instance but manual
testing can be done against a system as you mention.  I think a lot of
folks use things like Docker to do such testing or sometimes these
systems offer quick start configurations.  You could put a squid proxy
instance/container in front as well.  Perhaps this one can help
https://github.com/sameersbn/docker-squid

Thanks
Joe