yes this was my understanding also but then i found that Spark's DataFrame
does has a method which appends to Parquet ( df.write.parquet(destName,
mode="append")). below is an article that throws some light on this. i was
wondering if there is a way to achieve the same through NiFi.

http://aseigneurin.github.io/2017/03/14/incrementally-loaded-parquet-files.html

I have a workaround in mind for this where i can save data i want to append
to parque in a file (say in avro format) and then execute a script through
ExecuteProcess to launch a spark job to read avro and append to an existing
Parquet file and then delete avro. I am looking for a simpler way than this.