Ben,

Data already mid-flow within a node will be kept on the node and
processed when the node is back on-line.  All other data coming into
the cluster can fail-over to other nodes provided you're sourcing data
with queuing semantics or automated load balancing or fail-over as-is
present in the Apache NiFi Site to Site protocol.

Thanks
Joe