Hi Phil,
It's not part of the official NiFi project, but I have been building a
python client to do exactly the kind of changes in NiFi that you describe.
You can find it at https://github.com/Chaffelson/nipyapi
And the function to update a processor's config via API call is here:
https://github.com/Chaffelson/nipyapi/blob/18142f2a03aebac14be75b607eb35074efa6aa7f/nipyapi/canvas.py#L377
There are also calls to stop and start the processor in order to effect the
change.

Happy to receive feature requests and PRs.

Thanks,
Dan.