Bryan,

Yes, an HBase client upgrade makes sense for the Java 10 upgrade path. However,
the NoClassDefFoundError is more mysterious and does concern me.

Thanks,
Adam

On 8/23/18, 12:12 PM, "Bryan Bende" <bbe...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Adam,

    Yes for now Java 8 is what is fully supported.

    Hopefully the remaining issues can be resolved in the not too distant
    future to become compatible with Java 9+.

    I know in the HBase case it requires changing to a newer version of
    the client because the 1.1.2 client has the code that caused the issue
    you ran into with "Unexpected version format: 10.0.1".

    Thanks,

    Bryan

    On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 2:54 PM, Martini, Adam <adam.mart...@nike.com>
wrote:
    > Bryan,
    >
    > We are running HBase 1.2.  I am confused as well about the missing
ClassSize class.  Does seem completely unrelated to Pheonix and I do not
understand why adding the client would help resolve the class.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_apache_hbase_blob_rel_1.1.2_hbase-2Dcommon_src_main_java_org_apache_hadoop_hbase_util_ClassSize.java&d=DwIBaQ&c=7DfhQjPWzR3PmWBQVpi-kw&r=Sb-vyl3zZFvHwGIFN-QEmQCWZUYgyH4UBZPmcWFaTC8&m=bnetA9Y56Fx_Tiq-PCdevSuGr34t8ixQz5sDQMViOmc&s=XVjke9vTfRooHYCqZCNp1AS5kUbiGaJxHHF6OyNcnfQ&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__issues.apache.org_jira_browse_NIFI-2D5174&d=DwIBaQ&c=7DfhQjPWzR3PmWBQVpi-kw&r=Sb-vyl3zZFvHwGIFN-QEmQCWZUYgyH4UBZPmcWFaTC8&m=bnetA9Y56Fx_Tiq-PCdevSuGr34t8ixQz5sDQMViOmc&s=dHD8gEEW65OaoGA1DC-FE3i7EJRLatqydkeFpaHB1IA&e=

<adam.mart...@nike.com> wrote:
    >     > Hello all,
    >     >
    >     > We were struggling with our HBase client connection in the NiFi
1.7.1 release. We are not using Phoenix and our client was erroring with a
missing class exception:
    >     >
    >     > Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize
class org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.ClassSize
    >     >                 at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.IPCUtil.<init>(IPCUtil.java:72)
    >     >                 at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.AbstractRpcClient.<init>(AbstractRpcClient.java:91)
    >     >                 at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl.<init>(RpcClientImpl.java:1113)
    >     >                 at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl.<init>(RpcClientImpl.java:1139)
    >     >                 ... 33 common frames omitted
    >     >
    >     > Adding a Phoenix client (which we do not need) helps resolve this
class dependency, but fails if NiFi is running on Java 10:
    >     >
    >     > Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected version format:
10.0.1
    >     >     at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.ClassSize.<clinit>(ClassSize.java:119)
    >     >     ... 37 common frames omitted
    >     >
    >     > Starting NiFi with Java 9 fixes this error, but complicates our
devops as Java 9 is no longer supported and cannot be installed via package
management.
    >     >
    >     > Please fix this dependency issue so that a Phoenix client is not
required to resolve the org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.ClassSize class. Also,
please migrate to Java 10 as soon as possible.