Andy - fair points. Note that by definition, the process you describe is
harder (requires more maneuvers).  Maybe it's warranted/justified for the
desired integrity that you are after, but it's most definitely a total sum
of work that is greater.

Your registry example is really good.  In your example, you are proposing a
change to the framework and commons repositories before a change to the
registry can be finalized.  You'd need the changes to framework and commons
to "land" and become released before the final change to the registry was
committed.  You'd end up with a small release queued up for the framework
(whose release cycle is mostly infrequent) and you wouldn't be able to
finish the work on the registry changes until that new function was
releasable.  The ability to mark that JIRA ticket as "closed" is delayed
because you are waiting for releases from dependent components.

Of course, you can build/test against -SNAPSHOT versions in each of those
repositories (which is what Bryan was getting to).  But the registry
feature itself can't be totally finalized and is waiting on the release
cycle of the slowest of the components.  There are definitely tradeoffs
with this direction.