In general I like this idea. I'd like to even suggest a possibly broader
vision that aims towards a more stable build environment that would be the
"reference" environment for building NiFi.

I have been kicking around and looking at a Docker based build environment
for NiFi.  The idea is that you have a well defined build image that can
take any of the NiFi source releases and execute the entire maven
test/build cycle on it.

I initially thought this would be an easy task, just whip up a new
Dockerfile with the necessary build environment (I based my on Centos,
adding in the java and maven requirements).  Surprisingly though, this
turned out to be a difficult task.  I experienced all sorts of test errors,
somewhat randomly and seemingly uncorrelated.

So for now, I have put the idea to the side because I haven't been able to
isolate whether the problems are with the build environment (likely) vs.
the problems being with NiFi source itself.  But I would definitely be
interested in contributing and kicking this concept again, if there was
some interest in collaboration.

Thanks,
Adam