Mike - I needed to do this very same thing a little over 2 years ago. I
opened an initial PR https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/2085 this PR of
course would need some work to be merged but I used it a lot on a private
branch with success. I would be a fan of seeing this approach used and can
personally vouch for it working well.

Thanks,
Jeremy Dyer