Mike,

Thanks for raising this issue for discussion, and thanks Isha and Edward
for the comments. It is helpful to get an understanding of the potential
impact.

In general, it seems like moving forward with the upgrade is the best idea,
given the issues with older versions. For integration with other products
outside of NiFi, using the latest version of Avro should provide better
compatibility.

That being said, it is important to consider the impact on existing
deployments. At minimum, this change is something that should be described
in the NiFi Migration Guidance associated with the released version. As far
as supporting different versions, it is possible to run older versions of
the various components, although this is more complicated given the scope
of the upgrade. This seems like a case where providing more detailed
migration steps would be helpful, to include issues related to cached
schemas or inferred schemas used as the basis for customization.

Regards,
David Handermann