Mike,

I observed the same behavior when attempting to build on Java 17. The
problem appears specific to Java 17, and does not appear on Java 8 or 11.
The root cause appears to be that the `user.timezone` System property is
not set by default on Java 17, causing System.setProperty() to fail with
the NPE. I was able to work around the problem by adding
"-DargLine=user.timezone=SomeTimeZone" to the Maven build command.  This
does not impact GitHub Java 17 builds since those builds set user.timezone.

Since this is a build problem specific to Java 17, it does not seem to be a
blocking issue, in my opinion.

Regards,
David Handermann