Dan

You can think of 'upstream' as your 'origin'.

You want to add your mirror in there.  You'd submit your code change
in a branch to your fork/mirror.  And from that you'd request/submit a
pull request to NiFi.  This is important because you wont be able to
commit to the apache/nifi codebase for now (but if you become a
committer you can - still though we all use the model I mention).

Thanks