I was speaking of git tag, for convenience.

I guess the other question I want to know is what is on master that is not
in the release?

If we use git tags: One is dropped on the branch point. One is dropped on
the release point. The delta on master is the full set of commits that came
in to master while the release was happening. The delta (tag to HEAD) on the
release branch is the backports, That will answer the question what is on
master that is not in the release.

With tags, commit message do not need to say [BACKPORT]. But if they do say
[BACKPORT], all that is needed it the log to know what we back ported.

I think one giant PR is harder to work with. Many BP PR's is fine just,
titled or git labeled as a back port to release r.m.n would be helpful. If
it is in the Title it will help filter emails. Not sure if the labels are
helpful in an inbox but are on Github.

Assuming master has testing, bug fix Backport PR should be merged with 0
delay.

David