From: Gregory Nutt [mailto:spudan...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 6:26 AM
To: dev@nuttx.apache.org
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Apache NuttX 9.1.0 (incubating) RC0 release

> Started looking and there are some changes in the diff in the
> generated config.h as can be seen here
> One change is the date command is no longer disabled by default.  This
> accounts for 2304 bytes, leaving only 800 byte change.
> I'm not sure if changing the default was expected, but I dont think
> this should block the release.

Changing the default is not the problem.  The problem is when the
default configuration value is changed, the all configurations effected
by that change in the default setting should be updated so that they are
not effected.  That is, so the net result is no change.  That was not
done and that is an error.

In this case, the NSH 'date' command used to default to 'disabled'
UNLESS an RTC was supported, then the default is 'enabled'.  There error
is, that that the 'date' command should have also been explicitly
disabled in ALL NSH configurations that do not have the RTC enabled.

That has a negative user impact and would think that correcting that is
more important than meeting an artificial release deadline.

> The TLS changes are harder for me to judge and the netdb change I
> think just changes ram usage.

I don't believe that the TLS changes added any significant size. It
replaces one small, simple implementation with another small, simple
implementation.  It is hard to envision how this would cause any
noticeable size increase.  But perhaps.

Another thing that I noted in Alin's configuration comparison is that
the variadic version of the ioctl() interface is no longer optional.
That I expect will add a couple hundred bytes to the size of every
configuration.

The main cause of the size increase is the default 'date' command
setting.  Not only does that enabled the NSH data command but draws all
of the time computation logic into the build.  This will probably break
many of the more resource constrained configurations.