Normally this is done using the PHY driver at nuttx/drivers/net/phy_notify.c that provides PHY-related events to applications via signals.  It requires board-level support to handle PHY interrupts.

The network monitor thread at apps/netutils/netinit (see CONFIG_NETINIT_MONITOR) will handle taking the network down if the cable is unplugged and bringing it back up when the cable is restored.