Hi.

I'm writing several drivers for my custom hardware. One is for a PCA9633 LED driver. I can use the pca9635pw driver for this and modify it so it can be used with PCA9633 (4 outputs), PCA9634 (8 outputs), and PCA9635 (16 outputs) by adding an additional parameter to the driver initalize function. However, this would break existing code.

Since I'd like to give my work back to the community I'd like to ask how I should handle this situation:

- clone the existing driver and modify it and keep the original driver for existing projects
- modify the existing driver and ignore the compatibility issues
- provide a new pca963x_register(..., type) and add something like
int pca9635pw_register(...)
{
  return pca963x_register(..., TYPE_PCA9635);
}

What is the preferred way?

Frank-Christian