On 5/19/23, Nathan Hartman <hartman.nat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 8:24 AM Milan Obuch <nuttx-...@dino.sk> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I started testing NuttX on Raspberry Pi Pico board, using FreeBSD as
>> host for building. I was able to build NuttX using all configuration
>> files for this board (but one - nshsram, it does not finish, but I
>> don't care about it for now). All those configurations use default UART
>> placement (pins 0, 1).
>>
>> These pins are not available on 01space board RP2040-0.42LCD, so I
>> changed UART placement to pins 28, 29 running 'make menuconfig'. This
>> way, .config in NuttX working/build directory is modified, and
>> resulting binary (or uf2 for this board) file works as expected.
>>
>> This file, however, gets deleted when running 'make distclean' for
>> different build. Thus I run 'make savedefconfig', altering defconfig
>> file in working directory. This gets deleted on 'make distclean' as
>> well, so I manually created new directory, where I copied defconfig
>> file - boards/arm/rp2040/raspberrypi-pico/configs/nsh_28_29, and now my
>> config is listed in 'tools/configure.sh -L' output, so I can use it as
>> any other config file.
>>
>> So my questions now - is this intended way for saving and reusing
>> config file? While it works for me, I'd like to have my configs
>> separated from standard source files, maybe as third parallel directory
>> to standard nuttx and apps, with ability to see them in
>> 'tools/configure.sh -L' output, and using my configuration with
>> 'tools/configure.sh <my_config>'.
>>
>> Any hints for this one?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Milan
>

> There are various possibilities:
>
> After running 'make savedefconfig' you would normally want to copy the
> resulting defconfig file somewhere.

I think we need a better Documentation about it. Reading Milan's
question makes it clean that the information is missing.

In fact searching for savedefconfig in our documentation returns nothing:

https://nuttx.apache.org/docs/latest/search.html?q=savedefconfig&check_keywords=yes&area=default#

Do you have suggestion there in the documentation we could put it?

I think we could have a "Creating my custom configuration" in the
Getting Started, or maybe we could create a main entry "Developing
with NuttX" and include it.

Also it is important to explain that this defconfig is used to create
a board profile, then you can use with configure.sh
boardname:boardprofile

> You could copy it to a new config under the board in question, and if you
> feel this configuration could be helpful to the wider community, you could
> opt to open a PR to upstream it.

Been more clear and more didactic:

After running "make savedefconfig" you can create a directory inside
your board config that will retain your config customization:

$ make savedefconfig

$ mv defconfig

> Or you could create your own variant of the board by copying the whole
> board directory and then customizing it. The copy could be in-tree (in
> boards/arm64/xxxx) or out-of-tree (leaving the nuttx sources alone and
> putting your board in another directory, which you can specify). This
> option (copying the whole board directory) makes sense if you want to
> customize more than just the config and don't plan to upstream your
> customizations.

This is a good option! Mainly when you have a board that is not in the
mainline, your a personal board that will not be accepted on mainline.

Normally all boards in the mainline need to be available to the
public, if it is a personal board it should be kept in your local
repository.

> As a side note, if you are customizing any in-tree nuttx sources, it's
> probably a good idea to create your own long-lived branch, keep your master
> branch up-to-date with upstream, add your customizations to your private
> branch, and occasionally merge updates from master into your branch. Or you
> could base your branch off of a release tag if you prefer to use released
> versions.

Thank is also a great suggestion!

We need to have it documented to avoid spending time saying it again
and again! :-)

BR,

Alan