On 5/23/23, Brennan Ashton <bash...@brennanashton.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 23, 2023, 5:05 AM Nathan Hartman <hartman.nat...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 6:12 AM Brennan Ashton
>> <bash...@brennanashton.com> wrote:
>> > I have also asked in the past about cutting down on the amount of
>> > configs
>> > we have checked in to be something like
>> >
>> > board:nsh -- only nsh and somewhat small
>> > board:jumbo -- nsh, plus as many features as can fit and are
>> > interesting
>> in
>> > the platform.
>> >
>> > For sim and some other targets it would make sense to have more
>> > targets,
>> > but not for every board.
>>

>> The idea of "board:jumbo" is very similar to what I was saying
>> earlier. Maybe it will allow us to test fewer boards in less time but
>> still get better test coverage. I am in favor of *better* test
>> coverage, not less test coverage!!
>>
>> In the past, we talked about having some tests in CI for each PR, and
>> then a bigger nightly test that builds all boards/configs like Greg
>> used to do before releases. I don't think that ever happened, but ASF
>> has a build farm separate from GitHub that we might use, or we could
>> request from INFRA a virtual machine to set up a complete environment.
>> Maybe that's something to think about.
>>

> I'm not sure why we would need anything new? We can still run this in
> GitHub actions, but generally I don't think we should be having PRs merge
> that are not passing build tests.
>

> As for more testing of system on boards, QEMU is great for some tests and
> there is a thin framework that does some of that work that Xiang and others
> have started.  A few years ago I also gave a talk to see if there was
> interest in working with the folks a renode.io. Their open source simulator
> is what Zypher is using and at the time had minimal support, but check out
> this awesome dashboard.
>
> https://zephyr-dashboard.renode.io/
>

> It would be really cool if we could join forces a bit and continue to build
> off that effort and improve some of the emulation as needed (some work is
> required).

Some time ago I contacted Michael (from Antmicro, Renode. I CC he
here) and he was very prone to help, but we didn't get a dashboard for
NuttX yet.

I totally agree with that idea, maybe we could create a page that will
show up at nuttx-dashboard.renode.io this way they don't need to
maintain it, since they already have much work with Zephyr.

> Nothing will beat hardware, but as Xiang said let's start with the easy bit
> which is software.

For sure! Let to start with QEMU/Renode and then will add real HW support.

BR,

Alan