On 1/9/08, Matthieu Riou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There have been a few discussions on the legal-discuss mailing list about
> the release process and building Release Candidates that are just rebuilt
> make a final version when everybody is okay is more and more frowned upon
> for diverse reasons.

Digest for those of us not on legal-discuss?

So as you'll see I'm now using the final version
> numbers, I just name differently the directory in which I publish them.
> Also
> note that even though we publish binaries, the reference for any release
> is
> the source package. Binaries are just there for convenience.

If the RC is good enough that we end cutting an official release, then I
don't see a problem with that.  But if the RC needs fixing, then you might
end up with two packages having the same name but different content, which
is a problem.   Putting it in a different URL doesn't help much, once it
hits my machine, it loses the source or origin and for all I know 1.1.1 is
1.1.1, whichever 1.1.1 it ends up being.

So -1 on releasing two versions with the same version number.

Assaf

With this in mind, I'm asking for a vote on the following distributions: