Yes, actually using form widget with performFind services do not offer a way to union two search criteria.

Exemple : i want to find all communicationEvent that are in Bounced status *or* that contains something in note field. (very specific, strange, thats why)

By default all search criteria are managed in EntityCondition like :

List<EntityCondition> allDefaultSearchCriteria = UtilMisc.toList(criteria1Condition, criteria2Condition ...);

The resulting final condition would result as : EntityCondition.makeCondition(allDefaultSearchCriteria, EntityOperator.AND)

With the enhancement, by regrouping two fields with field1_grp = 'groupKey' and field2_grp = 'groupKey'

the following condition is added to the other default ones like :

allDefaultSearchCriteria.add(EntityCondition.makeCondition(UtilMisc.toList(field1Condition, field2Condition), EntityOperator.OR));

I hope this will be clearer.