You understand correctly, and moreover a specific permission must be
granted to allow the user to impersonate another one. And we even added
another security to not allow impersonating a user with more permission
than ourselves.

When we contributed the feature, it was discussed, and improved
regarding the concern that were expressed. And i'm glad that was done
this way (improvement through discussion).

Gil