These tabs independent of other (especially "base") applications are important. The general idea is that different users would have different permissions for the tabs, so it may be common that a user has access to "AR" but not to "Accounting".

This thread seems to have gone in the direction of better UI practices to switch tabs. A drop-down might be really nice, and open up lots of room for different numbers of applications. I also like the idea of having something to select the apps desired for a "quick links" bar, and maybe have that go beyond just tabbed applications and include individual pages for easy access.

-David