On Dec 11, 2008, at 3:27 PM, Brett Palmer wrote:

*Proposed Solutions*

  1.

Create a custom ant target (e.g. install-selenium-xml) that downloads the selenium-server.jar from a non-Apache hosted website (e.g. SourceForge). For example, the Apache Velocity project does this with their build which may be
  to work around possible license problems as we have here.

I think I like #2 better, but for this option one alternative we could consider with these is that if the files are only used by the client (browser) we could host them somewhere where they are accessed as needed. This means that to run the tests the machine would have to be connected to the internet, but it would eliminate the need for any extra steps during build/run.

-David

  2.

Another possibility is to replace the LGPL JavaScript files with our own version and then get the Selenium project to adopt the Apache licensed version. There isn't a lot of code to change, but it would take an effort to test it thoroughly to make sure all the Selenium code still worked with the
  change.