See my other message... it looks like there may be no way around changing existing code (and we'll have to use quotes AND square braces together for it, it appears anyway).

However, whatever we do we can't hide errors. The stuff below isn't helpful as the intent is not to intentionally get an exception, but to get UEL (or something) to complain when something isn't right and to do so in a way that is as easy to understand (and therefore fix) as possible.

This error, for example, was not immediately evident, not until I dug a bit. It would be great to do something about that...

-David