Your are against me ? My popularity increases :)

At this time :
Screen definition :
------------------------
<link target="EditExampleLayer" ...  style="buttontext create"/>

Output html render :
---------------------------
<a class="buttontext create" id="FindExample_LF_1_link" href="javascript:void(0);">Nouvel exemple</a>

Style theme definition :
------------------------------
style.css :
.button-bar ul a.create,.button-bar a.create {
background: url(../images/button_sprite.png) no-repeat 0px 0px;
padding:6px 10px 6px 30px;
}

My proposition, after your first remark :
Screen definition :
------------------------
<link target="EditExampleLayer" ...  style="buttontext">
<icons name="add">
</link>

Or
<link target="EditExampleLayer" ...  style="buttontext" icons="add">

Or
<link target="EditExampleLayer" ...  style="buttontext" purpose="add">

Output html render :
---------------------------
<a class="buttontext add" ... >Nouvel exemple</a>

Style theme definition :
------------------------------
icons.css :
.button-bar ul a.add,.button-bar a.add {
background: url(../images/button_sprite.png) no-repeat 0px 0px;
padding:6px 10px 6px 30px;
}

What's changes ? What is broken? Your are against widgets controlling styling but at this time all icons define by style attribute on elements to be used by theme. I propose more fexibility to explain the element's purpose that will be work by screen renderer and after by theme designer.

To continue update icons improvement :
<set field="iconsModeViewEnumId from-field="userPreferences.VT_ICONS_MODE_VIEW"/> <!--If User whant to view icons--> <set field="iconsStyleLocation" from-field="userPreferences.VT_ICONS_" global="true"/><!--If User have preference on icons to use--> <service service-name="getIconsVisualThemeResources"><!--return the css file to use that contains icons definition-->
<field-map field-name="visualThemeId"/>
<field-map field-name="iconsModeViewEnumId"/>
</service>

Nicolas