Moving to the dev list:

On Mar 1, 2012, at 11:51 AM, Erwan de FERRIERES wrote:

> what I'm planning to include is just the basics : jars and tasks. Maybe some
> tests as an example, like a basic login, and some actions with the example
> component.
> If there is time remaining, the selenium tests here
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-3511 could be migrated to
> webdriver and included too.

Interesting and promising, I am sure it will be very useful; by the way I would
like to think if it is a good fit for the OFBiz framework... at the moment I am
more inclined to think that it this should be an external component/project
made of:

* documentation of how to run Selenium on OFBiz
* a library of OFBiz tests for Selenium
* jars (if needed) or if you want to bundle Selenium in this package

In this way users interested in running the tests in OFbiz will download the
package as a separate download from the OFbiz release. In fact, also based on
the feedback from the users list it seems that there are several opinions and
strategies on the best tools for these tests. In the future someone could
contribute a new set of tests for a different tool and we could also provide
download links for them too instead of bundling everything into the framework.

I would see some advantages in helping these efforts grow into separate open
source projects out of the ASF community (they will be more dynamic and free to
evolve and they will help to grow an healthy OFBiz ecosystem) but if instead we
want to own the code then we should probably add them in another place in our
svn repository: a new folder like "extra" or similar would work to collect all
the components or tools like this that will not be release in the same release
package but will be released separately (e.g. "Apache OFBiz Selenium Tests
1.0"). In the "extra" (but we can find a better name) should actually go also
some of the components currently in specialpurpose. And we could release them
separately, if not individually, we could release "Apache OFBiz Extras 1.0".