From: "Adam Heath" <doo...@brainfood.com>
On 04/18/2012 11:56 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:
On 4/18/2012 5:43 PM, Adam Heath wrote:
Author: jacopoc
Date: Wed Apr 18 07:57:46 2012
New Revision: 1327411

Log:
Removed bin folder and moved its content to the tools folder: this
was discussed extensively in the dev list recently.

Added:
      ofbiz/trunk/tools/functions.sh
        - copied unchanged from r1327403,
ofbiz/trunk/bin/functions.sh
      ofbiz/trunk/tools/git-rebase-runner.sh
        - copied unchanged from r1327403,
ofbiz/trunk/bin/git-rebase-runner.sh
Removed:
      ofbiz/trunk/bin/
Sorry, missed that.  I've been away from ofbiz too long.

So welcome back, then !
The main reason is the ofbiz community is not paying attention to how
slow the software has gotten.  It currently takes my desktop 1 hour to
run a full test suite.  clean, load-demo(30m), run-tests(30m).  It
used to take 12-15m.  This has caused me to not do much, as it takes
to long to do anything.

Hard disk speed is what helps. With my high-speed SATA RAID array I
can build a fresh checkout and load demo data in less than 5 minutes.
Ant clean-data plus ant load-demo takes 4 minutes. The tests take 25
minutes - but that is mainly due to the many timing loops involved. A
faster computer will not solve that.

Believe me, this is an *ofbiz* problem, not a hardware problem.  It
definately used to take 15m to do a full run(ant clean-all, ant
install-demo, ant run-tests).  15m was sufficient for me to start a
loop against a whole series of git commits, go away to lunch, or drive
home, and log back in to see 10 test runs all happily finished.

Things have changed in ofbiz, so that now it takes a *huge* amount of
time.  Some of that is related to a larger amount of code overflowing
the cpu's L2 cache.  Some of that is related to catalina startup, when
it tries to seed the sessions randomness, and the local machine runs
out of entropy.

I suggest that every so often software gets run on older computers;
this allows for poorly written software to be tested in a more
real-world situation, and then moree problems can be detected and fixed.

ps: I am going to switch <if> in ant *back* to javascript, *away* from
ant-contrib.  The latter is significantly slower when using a system
installed ant.

Maybe simply because there are more things in OFBiz. Then the current slim-down
iteration should help...