I think that many projects that are "important" and are hard to upgrade (user facing or customized at each installation) are fully supported until end of support and between EOS and EOL get fixes for bugs that have security implications where publishing the issue and fix to the current release or trunk will give hackers easy access to data held in the old version or in some way open companies using that version to serious harm.

It may be somewhat difficult to get people to fix older versions but there may be things that we could do to make this more likely. 1) Bugs can not be closed until it is fixed in all of the versions to which it must be applied (according to our EOS and EOL rules). It might be better to generate new issue that specifically addresses the patch to be applied rather than a full description of the symptoms of the original problem which is a main feature of the original report and make this new issue a dependency of the original. 2) Open a sub-project for the older releases with different committers who are interested in the older version and are not committing to the trunk.
This might be a way for someone to get started in OFBiz programming.
The activity in this sub-project would be a good way to judge the community's interest in maintaining the older release. One would expect that companies running the old version would be interested in supporting this sub-project even if they have no interest in the trunk.

Ron