On 09/11/2014 10:45 PM, Scott Gray wrote:
I still think you're putting the cart before the horse. I'm not sure I could name any specialpurpose component that has the two or three active contributors that I think would be necessary to sustain it.
It will become apparent when the team or person steps forward to maintain it.

If they won't contribute to it now then why would they suddenly jump at the chance to run it? It seems silly to me to go through the effort of setting up a sub-project then waiting a few months to pull it back down because no one cares.

You don't set up a sub-project until someone asks for it with a plan to do something with it.

You seem to be running on the premise that some of these components have active contributors. I'd love to know which components these are. I'm not talking about a vaguely mentioned interest, I'm talking about actual action taken. There are hundreds of open source projects I'm interested in and roughly 1-2 I have time to contribute to.

Project management seems to be ready for some action.
eCommerce seems to have some following which could be enlarged if there was a way to engage a larger community.
The activi integration seems to be developing a team.
I suspect that localization might attract some contributors if it could be set up as a sub-project.

Particularly for security issues, the TLP PMC cannot simply ignore dormant sub-projects, we have to take action if a report comes in.
Why?
The report would go to the sub-project.

If the project was still shown as "active " on the project web site and if there was no response to the request, the person making the request would contact the sub-project leader. If th project was dead and was "officially" not being maintained, the person would have 2 next step; fix the issue on their own using the last source available or ask on the sub-project mailing list for help from other users of the module to see if the project could be resurrected.

Most of questions I asked were based on the premise that the given sub-project was dormant (sorry if I didn't make that clear), but you answered with the "sub-project will take care of it" so I guess it wasn't clear. If a sub-project is dormant (which I think is highly likely to be the outcome), then it falls back to the PMC to deal with monitoring, receiving contributions, determining suitability of prospective committers and dealing with security issues. Not to mention the set up and tear down of these failed experiments.
If the project is dormant, it is dormant. Anyone who wants to base their business on a module that is not being maintained, understands the issue.

No action by the PMC is required until a someone wants to make it active and even then, the sub-project leader can do that without the PMC by adding new committers to the sub-project and updating the web site with the new leader's name.. If the leader has completely left the OFBiz community (highly unlikely but possible), then the PMC could put this new person or team in charge.

If the module has no community or people who care, why would the PMC waste any time on it? If there were PMC members who thought that this module was integral to the success of OFBiz, I would expect them to be important contributors to the sub-project. You can join as many Apache projects and sub-projects as you have the time and interest to support. I hope that sub-projects will help attract new contributors by increasing the scope of activities and adding focus to some of these activities.

Currently, no one outside the PMC actually knows what the status of any module is. From what I gather, the state of any module in the "special" category can not be determined easily unless you ask the dev list and even then, you might get several opinions.

I also suspect that the OFBiz project is so big that it is hard to find contributors who are willing and able to become committers.
This results in a small group who are not focused on any thing.

If the Project Management sub-project was to be set up, it would focus on "Project Management" and even if several existing committers joined the project, the only roadmap that would be uppermost in the Sub-PMC would be how to make the best project management tools. It would produce a very narrow roadmap, make very focused decisions about support for various OFBiz versions and have a clear communication policy about OFBiz Project Management. It would draw in new people who need OFBiz to support project management but have no interest in shopping carts or BOMs.

Regards
Scott