+1 for lack of benefit (and for fear ;-))

My first thoughts:

=> If a change is desired, than Gradle would surely be a good choice as it is
the next generation build tool witch tries to combine the advantages from tools
like ant, maven and others…

=> I think the stability of Gradle is not a question as it is used by projects
like Spring, Hibernate, Grails, Groovy and others…

=> With the ability to use ant tasks and whole ant build scripts within Gradle,
a smooth migration could be an option

=> Maven rely on it’s convention over configuration pattern, so it is never a
good idea to NOT follow it’s conventions by configuring it for a different
project structure for example. So there may be the need for massive changes to
the OFBiz project structure and so on.

=> Also the ability to only produce one artifact per project in maven would
perhaps end up in configuring sub projects for each application and module in
OFBiz with a frustrating handling of multi module configurations with
version-/release-tags, dependency handling and so on...

=> I used maven in multi module project setups before and it has it’s nice
features, although it is sometimes hard to understand details and effects of
the build lifecycle or single plugins. But the main fact is, that this were
green-field projects, so things in terms of convention over configuration are
much easier to adopt than in legacy projects like an OFBiz…

=> The change of the build tool for OFBiz would be a fundamental change,
particularly for upgrading existing installations. So a change to the project
structure could be a deathblow to OFBiz vendor imports in customer projects. I
think it could be a good starting point to look at Gradle and see if there is a
wise way to use the strength and new features of a modern build tool without
the need to turn things inside out in OFBiz.

Martin Becker
ecomify GmbH