Le 21/04/2015 02:14, Adam Heath a écrit :

On 04/20/2015 07:12 PM, Adam Heath wrote:
I used to be in the same boat; in the early days, I would blame git for losing my work.
"Damn you frigging piece of software!"

However, I also realized that the linux-kernel was using it to do much more complex things than I was, so I toiled on. It took me a long time, but I was finally able to figure out how to make use of git's features.

Dare I point the linux-kernel  and OFBiz are somehow different? We have 18
active committers, I guess linux-kernel has (much?) more...
 I read it's even organised in a hierarchy
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4166530/how-to-manage-a-hierarchy-of-committers-like-linux-kernel-dev
I believe Git was created because Linus needed to delegate but still have the
control... Why do we need to switch form Svn to Git is my question?
I prefer to focus on other fields in OFBiz like
"OFBiz : open or in progress"
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12311912#
"Patch Available in OFBiz"
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12314132

The main thing that keeps you from losing work, is to commit *everything* to git. If you leave *anything* in your $working_tree, not committed, then yes, sometimes things get confused. But once you have everything committed to git, there are certain things that git helps you with, with regard to keeping copies of stuff around.

==
# git config --global rerere.enabled true
# (echo adfadsfasdf; date) > new-file
# git branch before-new-file
# git add new-file
# git commit -m "This is my cool new file, yipee!"
# git log
# git checkout before-new-file
# git branch -f master before-new-file
# git checkout master
# ls new-file  # hmm, where did it go?
# git reflog # hmm, seems to show the commit from above
# git log trunk # commit is gone
# git log trunk@{1} # this shows the commit, and the file
==

Gah, too many git features.  git rerere is a feature to cache rebase
resolutions; the feature being discussed here is not the same thing.

Well, so I need to dive deep in Git, but what for? Do I really miss that as an
OFBiz committer? I hope you see my preferences...

Jacques

This is just one of the powerful features that git has. I have rerere enabled locally, but don't use it often. I enabled it long ago, because I saw that it keeps copies of all my rebasing and branching, so that I can feel safer about having this safety net.

Also, I when back in time, and found an older copy of the previous ofbiz svn tree, and "underlayed" it into the current git-svn checkout, so I have git history going all the way back to 2003.