There is no consistency within the community regarding how to announce/propose/commit changes, so it is probably best to use overkill and do as much as possible to document the change - no matter how trivial.

For example, I announced I was going to fix a startup problem in OFBiz (a trivial change), and I was asked to create a Jira issue beforehand so others can review it. Conversely, Jacopo recently refactored encryption (a change with considerable impact) and no announcement/Jira issue/review was done beforehand.

So, there is no real "policy" about the change workflow - instead, it depends on the community's perception of the committer and what that committer feels they can get away with.

Adrian Crum
Sandglass Software
www.sandglass-software.com