Hi Sharan and All,

I believe this is a very important topic. The user interface is the weakest
part in OFBiz and I think we should focus our attention on it. Based on
your points discussed above and our brainstorming session in Apachecon I
suggest we start with the following initiatives:

- Create a base theme. This theme would be raw (no colors, no design) that
just works and renders things correctly. It also houses the low-level
libraries and utilities shared among the themes (e.g. bootstrap, jQuery,
etc ...). In addition, this theme would also house a unified FTL macro
library to render _everything_
- Create at least one higher level theme based on the above mentioned base
theme.
- Modify the widget system to allow the creation of custom widgets. A
custom widget can then be implemented _outside_ the framework (in the theme
itself, or whatever user interface you choose like swing or FOP)
- Create a component (we can call it backend or something like that) that
provides all the back-end user interfaces for managing the system. The
critical part here is to have _zero_ FTL, HTML, CSS or JavaScript in this
component. All the web stuff should reside in the themes and the widgets
remain a pure DSL.

The current user interface is full of <platform-specific ...> tags for
dropping in freemarker templates. So refactoring would be a huge pain. A
fresh start makes sense and that's why I make the above proposition.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Cheers,

Taher Alkhateeb