Let’s add some unit tests to expose the issue, and then with your PR you can
have your
fix show that it makes those unit tests pass. Let’s try that?

From: Imesha Sudasingha <imesha...@cse.mrt.ac.lk>
Date: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 at 8:06 PM
To: dev <dev@oodt.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Deprecated File.toURL() and issues with space characters in paths

Hi Madhawa,

Thanks for pointing this issue out.

IMO this is an issue which should be fixed in order to make sure that new

comers are not experiencing failures/difficulties in the first go (since

you too got blocked in the first attempt) and in overall for the stability

of OODT.

However, I would like if a more experienced member comment his/her opinion

on fixing this issue.

@Chris, @Tom what do you think?

Thanks,

Imesha

On Mon, 5 Nov 2018 at 21:56, Madhawa Vidanapathirana <

madhawavidanapathir...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I am Madhawa, a recent graduate from Department of Computer Science and

Engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. I am new to Apache OODT and

I thought of starting off with the file manager module. However, from the

very beginning, I had trouble due to space characters in paths and I am

interested in fixing these issues.

I already fixed a space character related issue [1] on the start script of

filemgr, which is now merged. Afterward, I realized that when the

repository path contains space characters, ingest operations fail. After

observing the code, I identified that this error occurs because the

method *File.toURL

(which is now deprecated) fails to automatically escape illegal characters

in paths*. This deprecated method is used in multiple places of the

codebase and I raised the issue [2] mentioning this situation.

As a solution to the above issue, JAVADOC [3] recommends to first convert

the File to a URI (using File.toURI() method) and then convert the URI to a

URL (using URI.toURL() method). *Before going forward, since this code

change affects multiple areas of the code, I would like to know suggestions

and comments from the community on this approach.*

My plan is to clone the project to a path with space characters and run

unit tests to validate the fix. However, it seems this approach is not so

trivial since some of the unit tests are written under the assumption that

space characters would not appear in paths. Therefore, *we may have to

modify those unit tests as well. *

I would like to know your opinion on above-mentioned approaches to fix the

issue and modify the unit tests

[1] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/OODT/issues/OODT-998

[2] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/OODT/issues/OODT-999

[3] - https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/io/File.html#toURL()