Chris,
Thanks for your Openlayers Overview text.

I've reviewed and added suggested changes as below. (Feel free to revert if you disagree with my suggestions). In particular, I've tried to add a bit of a "user benefits" (why is pure JS good?).
I've also included a Core Features section. I suspect you will want to refine this list of functionality.

Source text is at:
https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/doc/overview

Browser GIS Client

OpenLayers makes it easy for web developers to embed dynamic maps, from a multitude of sources, in any web page. OpenLayers provides an extensive list of mapping tools and widgets, similar to Google Maps. All functionally runs inside the web browser, which makes OpenLayers easy to install, without any server side dependencies.

OpenLayers is renound for its comprehensive testing and release cycles, ensuring stability across the hundreds of different browser versions.

Core Features

  • Loads map layers from many sources:
    • Google, Bing, Yahoo
    • WMST, WFS, WFS-T WMS, GeoRSS, GML
    • ArcGIS, Images, MapGuide, MapServer, TileCache, VirtualEarth, WorldWind,
  • Tools
    • Pan, Zoom, Draw, Edit, Save, ...
  • Popups
  • Markers
  • Reprojections

Original Text:

OpenLayers

Web map engine

OpenLayers makes it easy to put a dynamic map in any web page. It can display map tiles and markers loaded from any source. OpenLayers is a pure _javascript_ library for displaying map data in most modern web browsers, with no server-side dependencies. OpenLayers implements a _javascript_ API for building rich web-based geographic applications, similar to the Google Maps API.

Furthermore, OpenLayers implements industry-standard methods for geographic data access, such as the OpenGIS Consortium’s Web Mapping Service (WMS) and Web Feature Service (WFS) protocols. Under the hood, OpenLayers is written in object-oriented _javascript_.

As a framework, OpenLayers is intended to separate map tools from map data so that all the tools can operate on all the data sources. This separation breaks the proprietary silos that earlier GIS revolutions have taught civilization to avoid. The mapping revolution on the public Web should benefit from the experience of history.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Director

Think Globally, Fix Locally