The answer about the differences would be quite long. You can learn about
the theory researching online. Try some papers from here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENNLP/NLP+Papers

Which algorithm is better for you depends on your task and your data. You
can start developing using the standard Maxent and when your environment is
ready you can try other ML implementations.

Regards,
William