+1 to an opennlp-models jar on Maven Central that contains the models.
+1 to having the models available for download separately (if easily
possible) for users who know what they want.
+1 to having the training data shared somewhere with scripts to generate
the models. It will help protect against losing data as William mentioned.
I don't think we should depend on others to reliably host the data. I'll
volunteer to help script the model generation to run on a fleet of EC2
instances if it helps.

If the user does not provide a model to use on the CLI, can the CLI tools
look on the classpath for a model whose name fits the needed model (like
en-ner-person.bin) and if found use it automatically?

Jeff