On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.m...@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Am 12/03/2012 09:19 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Keith N. McKenna
>> <keith.mcke...@comcast.net>  wrote:

>>> Rob;
>>>
>>> I have been updating some of the FAQ's on the wiki site that were tagged
>>> as
>>> needing help. I am more than willing to start a comprehensive review and
>>> clean-up of the User FAQ's on the documentation wiki if that is the way
>>> we
>>> decide to go. The advantage is that the wiki is easier to maintain and it
>>> is
>>> already categorized with a toc on the main page.
>>>

>> The other FAQ on the website is also categorized:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/faq.html
>>
>> So whatever direction we start from we'll probably want to update and
>> consolidate.
>>
>> In my personal opinion, mdtext on the website is a good solution here.
>> But my opinion takes a back seat when someone else actually volunteers
>> to do the work.  So if you prefer the wiki for this, then you have a
>> +1 from me.  I'd just recommend that you fold in anything good from
>> the existing website into the wiki, so we have can have a single FAQ
>> for the project.
>>
>> Oh, actually we have a few other FAQs:
>>
>> http://openoffice.apache.org/community-faqs.html
>>
>> http://openoffice.apache.org/developer-faqs.html
>>
>> http://openoffice.apache.org/pmc-faqs.html
>>
>> Maybe a simplifying assumption could be:
>>
>> 1) We make the MWiki FAQ's be the user-facing FAQs about the product
>> and the project
>>
>> 2) We have the "internal" project-facing FAQ's on
>> openoffice.apache.org website, in their current mdtext format.
>

> I also would like to see FAQs in the Wiki, for both parts. FAQs have the
> attribute that they are never complete, need to be updated regularily and
> nearly anybody has something to add.

A website in mdtext is also easy to update and anyone can update it.
In some sense it is even easier than the wiki, since with the
anonymous mode an account registration is not even needed, unlike the
wiki,

I'd also disagree with the belief that FAQs need to be frequently
changed.  They only need to be frequently *asked*.  For example, the
question about OpenOffice on iPad only needs to be answered once.  it
does not require frequent community enhancement.

> So, it should be the best if indeed anybody can do the update. That's best
> done within the Wiki. Mistakes can be corrected fast and bad changes
> reverted easily.

The same is true of the website.

But let's be honest:  the FAQ's on the wiki have been neglected for a
long time.  Technological concerns are not the reason for this, since
they are already on the wiki.  Our problems are elsewhere.

My preference for the mdtext is it is easier to style and looks
better.  Wikis are dog butt ugly, IMHO.  Fine for collaborating on
text, but for final publication they are ugly.  IMHO.

-Rob