Hi,

On 12.01.2013 00:39, Dave Fisher wrote:

On Jan 11, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

Am 01/11/2013 03:06 PM, schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:
On 1/10/13 3:56 PM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
Hi,

On 10.01.2013 11:55, Rony G. Flatscher wrote:
Hi Oliver-Rainer,

I have finished the renaming from "OpenOffice.org" to "Apache
OpenOffice" - see issue 121388.

Beside corresponding changes in the user interface this change has
impact on the following important and critical stuff: -
folder/directory names - package names - Windows registry key names
and values - ...

As the folder/directory path to the user profile is also changed,
the user profile of a former installed AOO (or OOo) version is not
taken over.
for installation script purposes of add-ons etc., where can one find
the concrete strings for folder/directory names on the various
operating system platforms and the Windows registry key names and
values?

Unfortunately, there is no single place in the source code. I also had
not the resources to clean this up during the renaming work - hint,
hint, hint :-)

Please have a look at issue 121388, the wiki page referenced in one of
the issue's comments and the intrinsic changes I have made.

The product installation folder is more or less a form of the
$PRODUCTNAME + [major version number]. E.g.: - Windows: "Apache
OpenOffice 3" - Linux: "apache_openoffice3" On Linux platforms we have
also the basis installation folder. It name is found in
/main/instsetoo_native/util/openoffice.lst

The user profile folder is more or less $PRODUCTNAME/[major version
number]/

The Windows registry keys and values can be found in module main/scp2/

I hope that helps a little bit.

I was thinking about the name and here I mean the name that is used for
the folder etc. The name is used in the help, in tools option, in the
menu...

We changed "OpenOffice.org" to "Apache OpenOffice" so good so far. But
would it be nicer to shorten the folder, menu entries, ... to simply
OpenOffice

Folders Linux: /opt/openoffice4 Mac: OpenOffice.app Windows: OpenOffice
4

Tools Option OpenOffice OpenOffice Writer OpenOffice ...

Help OpenOffice instead of hundreds of "Apache OpenOffice"

The idea is that the project and product is called Apache OpenOffice but
in practice we would use in the product the short from OpenOffice. The
intro, start center, about can of course use images where we use "Apache
OpenOffice".

Well it's just an idea and I know it would require some further work but
now would be the time for it. I believe legally should it be ok today but
it have to checked to be safe.

What's your opinion?

In general a very good idea: Shorter menu entries, etc. and a higher
attention of the open source product.

And yes, we should get this clarified from trademarks@.

If it is called Apache OpenOffice software or product on first use on certain
pages then it is permissible to use short forms like OpenOffice in various
places. There is no trouble with that approach. Look at the Apache Hadoop
project's home page - http://hadoop.apache.org/

We should make sure that somewhere we use OpenOffice.org ® for the link to
the website to preserve that trademark in certain jurisdictions.

As you might have seen, I also changed "OpenOffice.org website" to "Apache OpenOffice website" in some place of the help content.

Dave, do you think we should keep "OpenOffice.org" in such cases?

Best regards, Oliver.