Hi Andre,

Andre Fischer schrieb:
Hi,

Development of the sidebar is progressing well.  It already looks a lot
like the mockups posted by Xin Li on December 18th [1].  I have
concentrated on the underlying framework, so there is only one partially
migrated panel so far.  Nevertheless the framework is now flexible
enough to think about the default color scheme to use. There are
developer builds [2] and an extension that allow live evaluation of the
nine different color schemes from [1].

I would like to ask you to either look at the mockups at [1] or try the
developer builds [2] and tell me what color scheme you like best.

I like best the version 2A. But I think the gradient should be the opposite direction, from light at the top to dark at the bottom. A light is expected to come from top right, therefore the lighter color should be at the top and on the left side of an object. The drop-down-triangles have the right direction for the gradient.

I do not like the line separators. The take place without any use. I normally remove this separator lines in our current toolbars.

General information about the sidebar, the current state of development
and how to help can be found in the wiki [3].

Thanks in advance for you help,
Andre

I have download your Windows build and played with it beyond the design. I know, it is work in progress, but I see: - If you drag the pane smaller, some elements become unaccessible. The elements should rearrange and/or the pane needs a scrollbar. - If you set the UI scaling to 130% (and restart!), you see that the margin between the button bars becomes wider. That is ugly and wasted place, because the buttons bars itself are not extended. Our current toolbars arrange the buttons in rows, without a margin between them, and therefore there is no margins, which can increase. That is more useful. You do not have always large screens, but have to consider netbooks and tablets as well. - The icon size is always small, although the general setting is "large icons", even after restart. - If the side bar is undocked, the row of the title bar still exists and the window title is empty. The title bar should be removed in undocked state and the title moved to the window title bar. - The title bar has vertical dots on the left side, which normally indicate, that this part can be dragged around. But that is not the case here and therefore no dots should be shown. - Between the menu icon and the other tab buttons in the tab bar is a separator line. It is not necessary, because the menu icon has nearly always a border.
- Cycling with F6 seems to hit the side bar, but nothing there gets active.
- That is likely an effect of the draft state, but if in Impress the current task pane is closed and I click on the "Animation" tab in the tab bar of the side bar, AOO crashes.

Kind regards
Regina

[1]
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/AOO_UX_Design_Exploration_-_Task_Pane_Content_Panel_-_User_Interface_Design_Proposals#Task_Pane_Content_Panel_-_UX_Design_propoals

[2] http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Sidebar#Developer_Builds
[3] http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Sidebar

PS: I remember Rob having asked the same question on our Facebook site
but can not find the email anymore.  I also remember that the feedback
was somewhat inconclusive.  Does anybody know the details?