Am 06/14/2013 09:17 AM, schrieb Andre Fischer:
On 13.06.2013 23:58, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
Am 06/13/2013 01:48 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 3:36 AM, Andre Fischer<awf....@gmail.com> wrote:
On 12.06.2013 22:06, Rob Weir wrote:

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
wrote:

Am 06/12/2013 06:48 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:

On 12/06/2013 Andre Fischer wrote:

Can we have both? Some longer living, semi-'official' news and a
more
frequently changing list of recent blog posts. I find both
important
and interesting. And having blog posts listed on the main page
may be
an incentive to more people writing new posts.

Adding "Blog" to the main navigation bar is surely helpful. For
something more similar to what Andre asked for, I've just
committed a
test to
http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/test/index.html
(if it gets published, no problem, it will still be in the test
area).

There you can see a block with the titles of the latest posts,
good to
show immediately what the blog topics are.

That's right. One (maybe radical) idea comes into my mind:

What if we stop the normal news (and the separate news webpage on
".../news/index.html") and post everything in the blog? And write
some
headline on the homepage?

I was thinking something similar. Shouldn't all new stories go onto
the
blog?

And once we figure out how to update this live from the feed, I'd love
to split the right side into three areas, one for the most recent blog
posts, another for the most recent extensions and another for the most
recent templates.

So in a small space we can rotate headline from the blog, as well as
templates, extensions, etc.

I like your ideas (Andrea, Marcus, Rob) in general. But

- I think the distinction between blogs and news can be a good thing
if we
understand blogs more as personal opinions of individual community
members
and news as 'official' announcements. If we mix blogs and news then
I see
the danger that news will be swept out of view by the much more
frequently
written blog posts.

The problem is a news item might be longer than we can fit the full
text on the home page. So it natural then to put the full text onto
the blog and then a "teaser" on the home page.

But note that the blog has categories that we can define and use, and
if we want we could have a category for "announcement" or "news" or
"opinion", etc., to make it clearer.

Or name it "personal opinions". Then we can separate more clear
personal statements of single people from the official announcements
of the whole project. A clear disclaimer at the end of every text in
this category will help - like Rob did in some of his previous mails.

You may want to read that particular disclaimer before suggesting to use
it in other mails :-)

Andre, it's not "we can copy & paste Rob's text" but "a clear disclaimer" - with accent on "a". ;-)

Marcus

Or we could have a blog that we use only for official news, maybe map
it to news.openoffice.org or something.

Hm, then we have the same situation like today.

IMHO it is a bit like the problem with our Wikis on Apache. We have
OOOUSERS and OOODEV. But only DEVWIKI is used. ;-)

Marcus

- Listing blog posts, extensions and templates will only work if we
have
frequent updates of extensions and templates. I have to admit that I
did
not follow those two in the past months. Is there enough traffic to
talk
about?

Three new templates so far in June:

http://templates.openoffice.org/en/mostrecent

And four new/updated extensions in June:

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/recent_updated

Regards,

-Rob

-Andre

-Rob

We keep going to post news also on the homepage *and* get more blog
posts.

Another thing:
Put the x recent headlines directly between nav bar and "I want to
learn
more ...". Yes, that would put everything a bit lower, but we
would get
rid
of the right side and the entire page will be much more smaller.
Better
for
mobile devices. And the news are always on top.

So a single column?

Another idea would be to introduce jQuery and implement one of the
many
sliders:

http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/tools/awesome-jquery-sliders/

Unless there are objections, I plan to port it to the "real"
homepage
during the weekend.

For me that would be fine.

Marcus