On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 1:00 PM, janI <j...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 24 July 2013 18:34, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM, janI <j...@apache.org> wrote:
>> > Hi.
>> >
>> > I have followed the discussions in here, and have seen a number of not
>> > wanted changed in our important artifacts happen.
>> >
>> > I think it is important, that items like our logos, release notes etc.
>> > cannot be changed by accident. I believe it happens by accident and that
>> > could avoided with a simple measure.
>> >

>> It might be useful to think of this in terms of Review-Then-Commit
>> (RTC) versus Commit-Then-Review (CTR) rules.  Once we clarify these
>> and when they apply, then we can discuss whether additional
>> technological means are needed to enforce this.
>>
>> For the wiki the general rules is CTR for all users with an account.
>> No additional karma is needed.
>>
>> The for resources in Subversion the general rule is CTR for all
>> commiters.  Additionally, the public can submit patches, to the list,
>> attached to BZ issues, or using the CMS anonymous submission tool.
>> This then is effectively RTC since a committer must first reviews the
>> patch.
>>
>> Those are the default postures, but there are exceptions.  For
>> example, as we approach a Release Candidate we switch into RTC for the
>> trunk code.  We only make changes after a bug has been proposed and
>> approved as a "release blocker" on the dev list.
>>
>> So we could simply adopt a RTC for certain resources at certain times.
>>  For example, Release Notes once a release occurs, are RTC.  The
>> project logos, once approved and published, are RTC.   If we agree to
>> such things there are lightweight ways of reminding ourselves.  For
>> example, we could have a README file in directories that are RTC that
>> explain this.  That should be enough for conscientious,
>> well-intentioned volunteers,
>>

>> > I am normally strong against limitations, but I would like to suggest
>> that
>> > these items are moved to one (or more) subdirs, where the commit right is
>> > restricted e.x. to PMC members or even less. Doing so will not prohibit
>> > anybody from making their changes but simply avoid that the changes are
>> > product wide.
>> >

>> Personally I think this is a RTC versus CTR question.  This
>> distinction is a tool that we don't invoke as often as we could.
>> Maybe that would be sufficient, at least in SVN.
>>
>> Also, I think even a PMC member should be following CTR rules when it
>> is in effect.  I don't think of a PMC member as a higher class of
>> committer in terms of what they have access to.
>>

> I think you misunderstood me.  I agree with the RTC/CTR discussion, but
> that does not prevent the accidential commit, I think it has happened to
> most of us, that we commit our changes, and we overlook that another file
> is also committed.

I disagree that we have a a problem with accidental overwrites in SVN
in cases where it is clear that RTC is in effect.  I think the problem
is that it is not clear when CTR is in effect.

Also, I don't see how your solution helps with truly accidental
commits.  Surely PMC members make errors as well?

-Rob