On 8/8/13 5:21 AM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2013, at 6:26 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> Thank you for this great explanation! So basically, review the AOO java API.
>>>

>> It is a bit more complicated than that.   The Java language itself has
>> evolved, not just the libraries. There are bytecode changes as well.
>> The difference between Java 1.7/1.6 is not very big, but there are
>> more significant differences if you need to maintain compatibility
>> with Java 1.5.  Not impossible, but it would be extra effort.
>>
>> And remember, the "cost" of supporting old platforms is not just the
>> dev work.  It also involves QA and support..  If we say we "support"
>> something then we really ought to be testing in, not just saying that
>> we not aware of any problems.  The OpenOffice brand should mean that
>> users can run on any supported platform and have a good experience.
>> IMHO we should not say we "support" a platform unless we're willing
>> and able to meet that kind of expectation.
>>
>> As a practical matter we cannot be testing every platform on 3
>> different JVM versions.  That's not going to happen.  The test matrix
>> is too large.  Even on Windows that is XP/Vista/Win7/Win8 or 4
>> platforms * 3 JVM's, or 12 combinations.  And that is just Windows.
>
> Good points.
>
> I think that we should evaluate our Java dependencies, the projects and where
> they are their minimum java version.

that is probably not necessary, we are now 1.5 compatible in our
sources. But we would like to benefit in the long term of new language
features. But this is a separate issue.

For now we can use the -source and -target options from the compiler to
use the Java 7 compiler and keep the target baseline for 1.5 if we can
ensure that the security problems are solved in this mode when the Java
7 compiler is used. If not I would suggest we switch to Java 7
completely on all platforms.

And we should ensure that we work 100% with Java 7, needs some QA effort
to ensure this.

Then it is up to the user to decide which Java runtime they prefer. We
promote Java 7 as default and give no guarantee for older Java versions.

And in the long term we drop even this special compile flags and switch
to Java 7 as the new baseline completely.

I am really not interested in doing extra work for users who don't take
security issues serious. But anyway for now we don't have plans to
change the code and make use of new language features. But it should not
prevent us from doing this if we see demand for it to make our work
easier for whatever in the future.

> I know that there has been a drive to remove Java, but I can see some quick
> potential wins by using Java based Apache projects like POI to drive MS
> Office two way compatibility. (OK another thread ;-)

I am not aware that anybody worked in this direction, LO tried to remove
Java not we ;-)

Juergen