On 6 September 2013 19:00, Alexandro Colorado <j...@oooes.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 11:54 AM, janI <j...@apache.org> wrote:

> > > On the Moin Wikis, anyone can create a Wiki account, but that does not
> > > grant them write access.
> > > They then have to apply to the dev list to get added to the
> > > ContributorsGroup page. [1]
> > > If anyone abuses their permissions (AFAIK that has not happened) the
> > > login can easily be removed from the page.
> > >
> > > on mwiki its similar and still differerent. You dont need an account to
> > read, anybody can read without signing in. When they create an account
> the
> > get automatic write permission.
> >
> > I and earlier admins have made 2 suggestions to avoid spam:
> > 1) Write access is not active until x days after creation (typically 4)
> > 2) Write access is not given before approved by an mwiki-admin.
> >
> > Both suggestions were deemed "negative user experience", so the original
> > system remains.
> >

> When this did change happened? I have experienced this 4 day periods pretty
> often. So this system was set in place until recently. So I am not sure
> when did this got revoked. Also, can't we just get a co-signer system where
> they get instant access as long as someone vows for the user?

It was in place when I started looking at mwiki (about 14 months ago), I
have no idea who changed what or why.

The last documented change (before I started) to the configuration was done
by Terry in 2011. Since he works at least as prof. as I do, I am sure all
his changes had PMC backing

A co-signer system is a variant of 2) and was deemed unwanted. Of course
this does not dictate what a future admin implements.

rgds
jan I.