Am 09/09/2013 07:50 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 3:33 AM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>  wrote:
Am 09/06/2013 03:18 AM, schrieb Rob Weir:

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 4:32 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>   wrote:

Am 09/05/2013 10:20 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 6:46 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
wrote:

Am 09/05/2013 12:20 AM, schrieb Rob Weir:

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
wrote:

Am 09/04/2013 10:47 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:

http://browsershots.org/http://www.openoffice.org/download/

I'm not sure anyone else can read that.  It might be tied to a
cookie.
      But I ran a test to render the download page on 135 browser/os
combinations.  It returns a PNG screenshot for each rendering.  I
looked for which combinations did not render the green download box.

There were 5 failures.  Two I don't think we care about:

Dillo 3.0.2 / Debian 6.0 (squeeze)

and

Kazehakase 0.5.8 / Debian 6.0 (squeeze)

And 3 that we should care about:

MSIE 5.5 / Windows 2008 R2 (Server)

MSIE 6.0 / Windows 2008 R2 (Server)

MSIE 7.0 / Windows 2008 R2 (Server)

I don't agree here. Why do we have to support stone-old browsers?
Because
they are available on a browser testing website? Come on. ;-)

I'm concerned with the error, since it it impacts the more modern IE 6
and
7.

Looking at visits to our website over the past month I see this many
users:

IE 10 -- 857,499
IE 9 -- 250,591
IE 8 -- 420,215
IE 7 -- 69,914
IE 6 -- 27,172
IE 5.5 -- 69

So we're still getting nearly 100K visits/month from these older IE
versions.

The 69 are not really impressive. But 27,000+ for MSIE 6 is surprising.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_5

It's old, MS is no longer supporting it, so IMHO it's done. Nearly
the
same
for 6.0.

Right.  But here is a common scenario.  You need to reinstall Windows
on a machine.  Say it is XP or Vista.  Both are supported today, but
both have older browsers by default.  Of course, the first thing you
do on a new machine is run the Windows Updates.  But in parallel with
that you are downloading other software you need, Acrobat Reader, anti
virus, 7-Zip, Notepad++, etc.,  and Apache OpenOffice.   So you might
end up with IE 8 in the end, after all the patches are applied.  But
you start your work with an earlier version,

I would expect that these people first get the basics up-to-date, then
other
applications.

The IE versions all give the same script error:

However, if all browsers show the same error then a fix could get
back
all 3
into life at the same time.

That makes sense.

Yes, let's concentrate on the error.

Line 330, Char 1, Code 0, Expected identifier, string or number

This is an odd place for an error, since that appears to be in the
middle of the commented out block for beta releases.

Any ideas?

Yes, if you search in the "index.html" which indeed doesn't make
sense.

When looking into "download.js" then you are in the middle of the
"getFilesize()" function. But I've no idea what the problematic point
could
be there.

I wonder if it could be
http://www.openoffice.org/download/release_matrix.js?  Could it be a
coincidence that that file is exactly 329 lines long and the error is
claimed to be in line 330?  Maybe that unnecessary comma at the end of
line 328 is the issue?

Hm, and what about "languages.js"? It has also a semicolon at the end
but
the file has only 108 lines. In the "index.html" it will be imported
before
the "release_matrix.js" (I don't know if this really the case) but
there
is
no hint for error.

Anyway, let's try. In the test area:

http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/test/index.html
http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/test/other.html

I've committed the deletion of the characters in both files. I think we
need
to wait another 24h until we are allowed to use Browsershots.org again,
right? - At least this is my experience.

I don't know if that restriction is per client IP address or per host,

It's about the tested website that triggers the limit. It doesn't matter
who
or which IP is requesting the test.

but we're blocked either way, because of robots.txt on staging:

OK yes, the staging area.

http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/robots.txt

But if it is OK to publish those changes we should be able to run
another test now.

Hm, I decided to publish the changes already yesterday. To bad that I've
not
changed the links from staged to live, sorry. ;-(

Please try again with the real webpages.

Same errors.

I think it is the trailing comma on the last entry in the array.  I
changed in it download/test/release_matrix.js and will test it again
tomorrow.

Ah, good catch. I've published the website, so you can test with the real
webpage.

I cross my fingers.

The latest versions works OK on the older I.E.'s on browsershots.org.

I also found this online tool for checking JavaScript:

http://www.javascriptlint.com/online_lint.php

Thanks for the link. Really a handy, fast and helpful tool.

It says the final semi-colon is fine, but the trailing comma is no.

OK, then let's keep the semi-colon but delete the comma.

I'm  happy to make these changes to the live version, but I'll check
with you to make sure you don't have some other pending merges first.

Wow, I never thought that we would find the problem that fast. Thanks for your help. Therefore - as you have found the comma as the root cause - I'll leave you the honor to commit the fix.

Marcus