On 27 October 2013 13:34, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 4:05 AM, janI <j...@apache.org> wrote:
> > On 27 October 2013 02:58, Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
> wrote:

> > No its not, as I wrote in the part you quote, www.openoffice.org will
> > continue to have https: but also https: as pr request from the project.
> >
> > But if I might remind you sent a mail to infra, asking why https: was not
> > implemented for www.openoffice.org, which I and pctony responded to.
> >
> > And if you look at INFRA-6608, you will see a comment from andrea 3
> August:
> > "And we will want to use it, even though there is no authentication
> there,
> > for
> > http(s)://www.openoffice.org
> > (this is mainly because we receive a steady, even if low, amount of
> > complaints from users who cannot browse our main site on HTTPS). "
> >

> > We infra have done exactly as the project asked us to do according to
> > INFRA-6608, and that is not correct ??
> >

> There is nothing wrong, IMHO, with supporting https for
> www.openoffice.org.  There is nothing wrong, IMHO, with *not*
> supporting https for www.openoffice.org as well.  The problem has been
> the confusion caused to users when they get an error about an invalid
> certificate when using https with www.openoffice, due to the
> apache.org certificate previously associated with it.  The mismatch
> was the issue.  But it should be sufficient to support https on
> request for the www subdomain.  We don't have any security reason to
> have it be the default for the static website, or at least none that I
> know of.
>
> So that is the question:  support https versus automatically
> redirecting http to https.

May I politely correct, NO one has talked about redirection of
www.openoffice.org.

If you read my (and earlier) mails, I have written
    support http: and https:

You are able to view www.openoffice.org as:
     http://www.openoffice.org
or
     https://www.openoffice.org

that is the users choice.

Redirection is only mentioned for wiki.o.o and forum.o.o, where it is
needed for security reasons.

You are able to call http://wiki.openoffice.org, but will be redirected to
https://wiki.openoffice.org and all further communication will be https:

> My concern, as stated, was regarding the stability of external URLs
> using http and whether they would continue to resolve.   I wanted to
> have some discussion before we started to make bulk edit changes to
> thousands of web and wiki pages.  I don't think this request was
> unreasonable.

The request is not at all unreasonable, but 2 things:
- I read about 10 mails with numbers and "will not do", before infra was
given a thank for spending a saturday solving a AOO problem.
- The bulk edit changes should have discussed and made a while ago, when or
before the ticket was issued, and at least before AOO send mails to infra
asking why it isnt implemented. It is a bit late (but not causing real
problems) to do it afterward.

This lack of work is the reason, I try so hard to get https://wiki tested,
because I know we have exact the same problem, with the difference
http://wiki will not be available.

I have spent my morning seeing how the bulk changes can be done, and it can
be done automatic:
- for www, do "svn co", and use e.g. sed to edit all pages with a regex.
Templates is something I dont know, so that might change the work a bit.
- for wiki, any vm-admin can open mysql, and do a update statement on the
text tables.
- for forum any vm-admin can open mysql, and do update statement on the
text tables, there might be a config issue with the avatars.

Infra secures that www/wiki/forum works technically and e.g. wiki
configuration was changed to allow https: forum configuration is prepared.
Infra does not and cannot modify  the content of the services.

> > I actually never understood why https: was wanted on www.openoffice.org,
> > but it was not a problem to do it, so it was done.
> >

> Hopefully what I wrote above clarifies.
>
> > today is a  day where I am less proud of being AOO-PMC. We (AOO) have
> been
> > after infra to get a certificate and get it implemented. Yesterday mark
> > took a big chunk of time and with some help from me, got it implemented.
> > think infra should have a "thank you", instead !
> >

> > I have of course a double heart in this situation, but I am sure this is
> > not a good way, to work together.
> >

> Jan, you don't live in a question-free zone.  No one's actions in this
> project are immune from other project members expressing opinions or
> asking questions.  Understanding that and accepting that is a good way
> to work together.

I have no problem with questions, that is a good way of learning more. I
hope I have explained that part above.

But asking infra why https: is not implemented, without having our own
ground work done, is asking for trouble.

> And thanks for your efforts. They are, as always, greatly appreciated.

no problem, I am just trying to implement infra-6608. I hope the wiki/forum
moves can be done without these unpleasant waves afterward !

Please understand why this is a big issue for me, this is in no way
personal but infra like all other projects consist of volunteers, and if
you as volunteer have 10 tasks to do, and 1 is from someone that often
react negative, I bet nearly everybody would do the 9 tasks first, hope for
9 other nice tasks before having to do the 1. In other words its human that
negative tasks get low priority, and I dont want AOO to be in that position.

FYI, It happened now was because I spoke with mark about some code-signing
cert issues, and we found a way to share the work. Had I foreseen the waves
I would honestly have done 9 other tasks.

rgds
jan I.