On 17 December 2013 23:59, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Hagar Delest <hagar.del...@laposte.net
> >wrote:
>
> > Le 16/12/2013 23:15, Kay Schenk a écrit :
> >
> >  Aside from captcha (I'm assuming this is used for registration?), do we
> >> have any other spam tools in place for the Forums?
> >>

> > The only other counter measure is the first post moderation.
> > And it is very effective. On the English board, there is absolutely no
> > spam. The only remaining is the signature or the profile link but they
> are
> > spotted very quickly and they don't appear until you look at the members
> > list.
> >
> > So I don't think we need further tools.
> > Except for moderators perhaps, something like a nuke button that bans the
> > user and delete signature and profile web link automatically. But we live
> > without. The rate (on the EN forum) is below 3.5 spam account per day.
> >
> > Hagar
>

> OK, thanks. The reason why I asked is I saw that there ARE spam mods
> available for phpBB and, not knowing our setup, I didn't know if we were
> using any of them, or if they would help.

there are, but not a lot is configured. However if the en forum is happy
and have a low spam level, then there are no need to hazzle users more.

> Like anything of that nature, they might help  if configured appropriately.

+1

> One even claims to "do" moderation. But, of course, some attention would
> likely be necessary.
>
> In this particular case, we might think about closing the "vi" forum and
> deleting all accounts of a certain age if these seem to be the cause of
> problems, then reopening again with only newer accounts available and see
> what happens.

+1, thats a real good idea, there would be no need to close the forum,
simply clean the user base older than e.g. 3 month and see if the spam
continues.

rgds
jan I.